ArtReach St. Croix is taking the show on the road again this summer with the Mobile Art Gallery. Watch for pop-up exhibitions, live music, fresh art roadside stands and haiku challenges as we visit various locations throughout the St. Croix Valley.
Emerging Artists of the STX
Being a young professional and practicing artist can be isolating and challenging, especially outside of urban spaces. Still, artists do live and work in the St. Croix Valley to establish their artistic life.
This summer, find ArtReach St. Croix’s Mobile Art Gallery to see Emerging Artists of the STX. Pop by to see the exhibition or plan to join the Mobile Art Gallery host and a guest artist in a conversation about the challenges and joys of establishing an art practice in rural, semi-rural and suburban spaces.
Mobile Gallery Hours are 10am-4pm
BYOBL (Bring Your Own Bag Lunch) at 12pm (unless otherwise noted below)
- July 10 – near Valley Bookseller, downtown Stillwater
- July 17 – Scandia Farmers Market, 3:30-6:30pm, at Gammelgarden Museum (conversation @ 5pm)
- July 24 – Carpenter Nature Center
- July 31 – Brown’s Creek Park at Neal Ave, Stillwater
- August 7 – Square Lake Park*
- August 14 – Lake Elmo Park Reserve*
- August 21 – Brookside Bar & Grill, Marine on St. Croix
* Washington County park vehicle pass required
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.
Bluegrass & Butterflies
Enjoy art in an unexpected place? The Mobile Art Gallery will be visiting three state parks in the St. Croix Valley with a pop-up exhibition and music performances this summer. “Every Bend in the River,” a pop-up exhibition featuring five artists, will give park visitors, neighbors and campers a taste of art inspired by the St. Croix River. The mix of work will show how various artists interpret the natural world in this unique river valley. Artists include: Andrea Leila Denecke – ceramics, Deanna Grigus – photography, Marty Harris – printmaking, Alan Honn – blown glass and Michael Slagle – painting.
- May 24-26 at William O’Brien State Park (Fri. 6-8pm, Sat. & Sun. 9am-6pm)
- June 14-16 at Interstate State Park – Minnesota (Fri. 6-8pm, Sat. 9am-6pm, Sat. 9am-4pm)
- July 12-14 at Afton State Park (Fri. 6-8pm, Sat. 9am-6pm, Sat. 9am-4pm)
Enjoy a lively evening in the park with a modern Bluegrass concert. Special guests Blue Hazard will bring their fiddles, mandolins and stand-up bass to the same three state parks for a joyful concert in. Bring a blanket or your favorite camping chair to enjoy the show. pack a picnic supper to make an evening of it. After the toe-tapping tunes you can meet the musicians during the “Instrument Petting Zoo” to hear about their instruments and try your hand at the fiddle.
- Thursday, June 6 at 6:30pm – Afton State Park
- Friday, June 28 at 6:30pm – William O’Brien State Park
- Thursday, August 15 at 6:30pm – Interstate State Park – Minnesota
All events are free with a park vehicle pass.
Bluegrass & Butterflies is a partnership between the state park naturalists and ArtReach St. Croix whose mission is connect communities and the arts.
This activity is made possible by voters of Minnesota through a grant to ArtReach St. Croix from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.